For best burgers ever:
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground grass fed beef or buffalo
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 3 cloves minced garlic
Cook vegetables for burgers:
Finely dice onion and mushrooms. OR if you have one, pulse onion and then mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch heavy iron skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, add onions, cook until golden, about 7 minutes, add minced garlic, add chopped mushrooms, add 1/4 stick of butter (optional, we like it for the extra flavor), cook until mixture is golden, about 5 minutes. And then set aside about 15 minutes to cool.
Finish and cook burgers:
Mix 100% grass fed beef or buffalo into cooled mushroom mixture with your hands until well combined. Add egg for binding. Mix until combined. Form into 4-6 (4-inch) patties.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Cook burgers, turning once, about 8 minutes total for medium-rare. Once one side is done, add slices of cheese on your burger if you want cheeseburgers.
Serve burgers, topped with slaw, on buns. If you’re gluten-free skip the bun, I always do! Instead I put my burger between to lettuce leaves-butter lettuce is great or escarole for a little bite. And with the chick-pea salad you’ll never miss it.
Apple Celery Slaw
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced diagonally, plus 1/4 cup loosely packed celery leaves
- optional: 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced crosswise, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- optional: 1/2 head cabbage (green or purple)
- 1 firm, crisp apple (such as Pink Lady, Gala, or Granny Smith), julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add celery, celery leaves and apple (and optional add fennel & cabbage- we love both these in this salad they add a heartiness and healthy fresh taste); toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2 15- to 15 1/2-ounce can organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse kosher salt
- Combine rinsed and drained chickpeas, chopped Italian parsley, and the dressing (fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and apple cider vinegar, smoky paprika, mustard power) with finely diced red onion. Toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly. Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD Chickpea salad can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Serve salad chilled or at room temperature.
About the Author: Tania Van Pelt is the creator of Happiness Series. She is a writer and content creator, working in film, tv, and online. She wrote the popular lifestyle book "Ageless Diet," published in late 2015. And she is currently working on her next book. She also developed a sitcom pilot set in the restaurant business called "Employees Only TV" and is developing another web series comedy about Denver.